Friday 3 July 2015

Classroom Management 101 ~ Before I Can Manage a Classroom I Must be Able to Manage Myself

Classroom management was a recent topics for the PIDP 3250 Forum Discussions and facilitated by Henry Stavast. This forum got our group researching, sharing, and having provocative conversations.

After, much reflection the golden nugget of truth, for me, is: "Before I can manage a classroom I must be able to manage myself".

Everyone's journey as a person and an instructor is different. Some are fresh and new to the role others matured while dedicating years of their lives to the profession. Regardless, of the time we put in what is clear is that "wherever we go -- we find ourselves there" we are responsible for our own behaviour and how we treat ourselves and others.

Just being told we need to manage ourselves does not mean we have any clue on how to do this. So, I am going to share some resources that can help you do something, I call a "personal excavation". I have found that this helped me build self-awareness, self-esteem and emotional intelligence. Suited me up to enjoy the ride on the heaves and rolls of life -- while maintaining composure, respect for myself and others.

Here are three resources I used, over the years, for my personal excavation:
  • Read and completed homework: "The Six Pillars of Self Esteem" written by Nathaniel Branden
  • Read and completed homework: "The Artists Way" written by Julia Cameron
  • Read weekly: "7 Spiritual Laws of Success" written by Deepak Chopra

References:

How to Build Self Esteem - The Six Pillars of Self Esteem, Nathaniel Branden
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhuabY4DmEo

http://www.artistsway.com/aw.html Julia Cameron

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wksY03rsi_Y
"7 Spiritual Laws of Success - Deepak Chopra

No comments:

Post a Comment